Friday, August 15, 2008

The Cat Has Got Her Tongue

You must be wondering why we haven't been reporting on the many words that Helen has been saying. Well, it's because she hasn't been saying any. I've read in a Parents magazine that you either walk early or talk early. Helen did the first one; therefore, words have been hard to come by.

If I was a pushover for a mother, I could let her claim status for saying many words. However, I am not. I'm waiting for a word that is crisp, clear, and unmistakable. She has just this week finally started saying "uh oh." However, you can hear from the video below that it needs much improvement.


Now, family members have been very generous in letting her lay claim to words. My brother, Joel, gave her credit for airplane (pronouced "berplane"). My mother has somehow heard "Grandmama" many times, and Alan's Grandmother was amazed when Helen said "Baby Jesus." (Actually, I was present for that one, and she did say something that uncannily sounded like Baby Jesus.) But, nothing has hit my ears that classifies as a first word.

Here are some of the sounds she is currently working on:

Dog-"da"--also used for Daddy
Duck-"duk"
Bird-"brr"
Eyes-"iiii"
Fish-"ish"
Hot-"ot"

Sadly, I think that her success in sign language has given her no motivation to talk. One flip of her tiny hands, and Alan and I are up and responding with her every desire...is it juice, milk, eat, please, more, sleep, baby?? The other day I caught Alan teaching her the sign language for blanket...enough is enough!! Words, please, Helen and soon. Mommy is getting impatient :)
Posted by Picasa

Editor's note: Helen has been saying variations of Mama and Da-da for months now. However, it is not always in the context of the actual person supposedly being referred to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The uh-oh video is wonderful! Ya'll are having such fun. Seeing and hearing from all ya'll is like a drink of water on a hot, dry day. Thanks so much...Love, Nana and Papaw