Thursday, November 12, 2009

Week 2: Due Date & Life with 2

I felt really awful for Nathan that he had to be born early because he obviously didn't want to come out easily. So, it was very important to get past his Halloween due date. The week began with a short visit from Papa who was on his way to VA.

Below is how we have been spend most of our time. I finally gave in and started letting Nathan sleep in the bed with me in order to maximize sleep. He wants to be held almost non-stop, so if I want sleep he needs to be in the crook of my arm. I have nothing against attachment parenting, but it really isn't for me. I can't wait until I can put him in his own crib. But for now, sleep is priority #1!

We finally gave in and bathed Nathan at home a full week after his first bath in the hospital! Being a parent the 2nd time around is definitely all about trying to fit it all in. Now, we have to deal with 2 baths, 2 diaper changes, and 2 varying bedtime routines. I know that we will hit our stride at some point, but in the meantime it is somewhat fun working on figuring it out. Alan has been especially considerate of not working late (meaning he is home around 6:15.) During week 2, we had 2 days where Alan didn't work, and it was nice to be a family of 4.

Grandmama came up to visit and meet her 8th grandchild. It was a blessing that she was here as it just happened that the one night she stayed I ended up having to go to the hospital in the middle of the night for a postpartum issue. Fortunately, everything was fine, but I don't know what we would have done if she wasn't here!



Alan had his birthday this week as well. It made us realize that 2 birthdays + Halloween all within 12 days makes for WAY too much sugar!!

Helen has been a great big sister so far. She loves her new role...almost too much!! My first job is protecting Nathan from big sister's loving and violent touch. How many times can a soft spot be forcefully kissed??? She has had a few moments of jealousy, but for the most part, she is taking it all in. Honestly, she watches a lot more tv now!


We enjoyed many Halloween festivites. Helen as a fairy princess butterfly ballerina. Since we weren't expecting Nathan to arrive before his due date, he wore a pumpkin hat that we frantically purchased! I've been using my moby wrap a lot. I definitely look strange, but it is a great wrap as Nathan sleeps like an angel in it!


Finally, our little pumpkin made it to his due date! We had his 2 week check up on Friday, and he weight 7lbs, 60z. The doctor's goal is to be at his birth weight by 2 weeks, and he surpassed it by a half pound. You can tell how he accomplished this by looking at the huge bags under my eyes!! Thankfully, we have created a routine where Alan gives him bottles on Friday nights. I get a full 8-9 hours.
Posted by Picasa


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Kim, I love you! You never fail to make me laugh; I am lucky that you're my friend! Thanks for all of the blog updates.