The realization that we will be adding one more addition to our family, not sometime in life, not in the future, not in 8-9 months-- but today or tomorrow or in a few days. Very soon. That's the ton of bricks that's been hanging over my head, and I'm pretending I don't see the shadow. Whew.
It's not like we didn't know this day was coming, it's more like we want to believe that it won't really change our lives. Every day with Helen is such a blessing, as she grows and develops, she becomes more independent, more talkative, more sweet, more able to pick up after herself. That's nice. And now we're going to sort of start over, but with more challenges-- because now there are two. And just when we got to size 5 diapers, I've got to go back down to size N, not even a 1.
I think the first wake up call was on Thursday, when Kim called from the doctor's office saying something like, "they don't have the tests back, but they may want to induce, so get ready to come to the hospital if I call." I was just going to a lunch meeting-- that was my expected excitement for the day: free lunch. But we were given a pass. Same story for this Monday's doctor visit, tests are indicating mild preeclampsia, so inducing the birth is probably imminent. And there's no reason we can't go ahead since we are so close to the due date of Halloween. Now Kim's world revolves around the constant monitoring of her blood pressure (more out of intense curiosity than a need to check every half hour). And I'm called to duty to keep our lovable daughter from crawling all over her favorite jungle gym. And maybe I should go ahead and pull out the car seats out of the storage closet (arranged to be near the front, but still tucked away). I think I'll pack the bag for the hospital now; yeah, might be time for that. Because reluctance to change and denial is not stopping this kicking, baby boy from entering our lives. We will welcome him. Although if he could wait a little longer, that would be nice, too.

2 comments:
With two kids the teams will be even, but you and Kim have the distinct height and earning-power advantage!
No worries, you'll do great!
We know you had your new friend. I know that I am not the best blogger, but can we see some pictures?
Post a Comment