Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Do two points make a trend?

I have a buddy at work who we always give a hard time to for making statements about a "good trend" when describing a graph of results, but with only one or two good points out of a whole lot of not good results. Actually, that's not a trend.

However. Kim and I think we've got a good thing going after two nights of our new sleep routine for Helen. We've culminated much advice and suggestions, and sifted through it all to what we think makes sense. Top that off with a little desperation, and we've got a plan.

Even though Helen could clearly sleep long enough to get through the night, we felt like she was waking up because she just wasn't getting enough to eat before bed. Kim nursed and then we also bottle fed rice cereal mixed in with milk to her 9:30 pm feeding. After putting her down in her crib, we tried for the first time actually closing her bedroom door and closed our bedroom door. She slept through the night entirely! ...As far as we know. We didn't hear a peep, although I am assuming she probably did cry out at some point in the night. But we both physically and emotionally needed her to sleep through the night.

Night number two was last night. We did the same nurse and rice cereal in the bottle routine, but added this step to her 7:00 pm feeding, too. We felt guilty enough, and curious enough to leave the doors open this time. Helen didn't wake up until 5:00 am (with no crying out!). Kim actually let her cry another 10 minutes and she went back to sleep on her own for another half hour. When she finally fed her, the chronograph read 7:47. [fyi, Kim tracks time between feedings on her watch]. Wonder and joy!

We just hope the trend continues!

Sweet slumber
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I hope by now (Sat), that ya'll can declare a true trend happening. I read a little article in today's paper about sleep issues & babies. It mentioned that developmental milestones sometimes disrupt sleep patterns. Do you think Helen's rolling-over skills affected her sleep? Whatever, I just hope that she continues "trend-setting". Mom