Saturday, March 8, 2008

Adventures in traveling

I made it there. And I made it back. Barely.













In between was a great week to be in Washington and in Sedro-Wooley, where I traveled to on business again. Th
e weather was just amazing. Sunny and almost 60 in the day. Not a drop of rain while we were there. I took my camera this time to show some of the surrounding areas.

However, flying into Cincinnati for our first connection was the most white knuckled experience I have ever had flying. It didn't help that the amazing video of a plane nearly crashing in Germany that I saw on the morning news that same day was practically the same thing that happened to our smaller regional jet. Windy, rough turbulence from an incoming storm caused our little jet to bounce around. As we were about to touch down, I wasn't sure if the left wing tip or right would touch first as we listed back and forth. I think one wheel may have touched down, but we quickly took off and tried again. Better the second time.

On our return trip we had great weather and great views of Mount Rainier at sunrise. But bad weather in Cincinnati had us landing on snow covered runways. No issues there, until we found out that our return flight to Greenville was canceled. Since a blizzard was expected the next day and all other flights were getting delayed and canceled, we decided our best option was to rent a car and drive home. We were able to get a 4x4 Explorer and made the trip without much further incidence. The snow turned to rain, and the mountain driving had dense fog at night, but we made it home before midnight. Safely.

Whew!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are glad to hear you got home safely Alan.

Joel and I were thinking about you as we saw this snow blizzard come through Ohio when we heard what happened to you.

The news is saying tonight that this is the worst snow storm in Columbus, OH in 100 years!

Port Columbus Airport got 20 inches of snow. Here in Dublin, we got 16 inches of snow. Joel had to go out to shovel the drive-way 3 times today. We've been completely snowed in all day today.

It's times like these that we especially wish we lived near relatives in CA, AZ, or GA.

Monica