Friday, March 21, 2008
Still sick
Helen is hanging in there with her first stomach bug experience. She is still throwing up everytime something other than water hits her stomach, but (fortunately) water/gatorade is staying down. Our pediatrician told us to try her with some bland solid foods every six hours. If she throws it up, try again 6 hours later. Hopefully, she'll keep some food down in the next few tries. However, I'm becoming a pro at directing the projectile vomit to an easy to clean surface :) The saddest part is that Helen is very hungry. If she sees me eating, she starts crying for a bite. Everyone knows how much she likes to try a bite! Please feel free to post any advice you have about surviving these stomach bugs. I know a lot of you readers have been through this many, many times!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Oh, poor baby...poor mama! I always hated that helpless feeling. Back in the Dark ages, we were told to try the "white diet".
Saltines, white bread (the middle),
baked or boiled or mashed white potatoes, white rice (no butter),finally baked chicken breast. We were trying to avoid fats and sugar. What about Pedialyte? Do the Docs still recommend that? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. Love, Mom/Nana
Yes, PediaLyte was recommended, and tried. But Helen like it no more than I liked paying $5.37 for a small bottle. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth! But good old Gatorade and water seems to please.
So sorry Helen is feeling sick in this way.
Only advice is that we always have a good sized light-weight (stainless steel) mixing bowl close by at all times to catch the projectiles. Then, can just empty down the disposal with water rinse.
Also had a big baby-blanket under them to protect furniture/carpet.
Bad news is not much you can do for such sickness except wait out the time. Maybe try giving rice cereal mixed into banana baby food mixed with little apple juice to thin it down.
Good news is that we always found vomit symptoms to not last too long (2-3 days at most). Usually goes away after 2 good nights sleep.
Monica
Hi Kim,
Sorry you're having to deal with this. I hope you don't have the bug too. That's the worst - taking care of the baby when you're not feeling too hot either.
My doctor said to switch between a bottle with Pedialyte (or Gatorade if that works better) and a regular bottle. He said studies indicate that may work faster than Pedialyte alone.
I am so sorry you are going through this. I definatly feel your pain!!
On good thing is popcicles. The sugar and hydration are good for them, but are slow, so it does not irritate as badly. Also, coke. It is one of the most settling drink to the stomach and the sugar should help her to feel a little better.
Call me if there is anything I can do!! Not that I can be tons of help with the girls, or our litter as John calls them, but I am here to do what I can.
Hang in there!!
Lindsey
Post a Comment