We are proud to report that Helen took her first step today! It was quite thrilling. She is still a long ways from what I would consider "walking," but she is starting to try. The momentous event occurred at Mother Goose on the Loose, a story time/singing kind of thing at the library. The older kids (18 months-2) were WILD today. Helen was really getting into the excitement. She has been standing on her own regularly, and today she lurched forward into her first step. I decided at that moment to take it down as her official first step, but just to silence any critics out there who might say that it didn't count, Alan and I had her try again tonight and she took many steps by herself.
In other proud Mama news, Helen also hit the drum all by herself today, too. A regular song at the Mother Goose is to go around the room and let every child hit a drum while saying their name (each syllable gets a hit.) I've always taken Helen's hand and done it myself, but today I held back and she immediately hit it 2 times all on her own. I have to say I'm more proud of that than the first step. We know she will walk at some point, but not every child has the confidence to "bang the drum loudly." I'll keep you updated if she performs again next week!
Wednesday, February 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
WOW! This is terrific news. I'm not sure which is more exciting, the first steps or Helen's realization of what she could do at storytime. It was good to have this mid-week pick-me-up! Take care... Love, Mom/Nana
It's these types of moments that I LIVE for! I bet that was one of the biggest hi-lights of your life. Smile big!
Post a Comment