Tuesday, February 12, 2008

We've got the fever!!

Please everyone keep little Helen in your prayers. She has developed a high fever. This is our first real foray into illness, so please pray for our strength! Helen went to bed around 7:30 tonight. She has been chugged up for the past few days but didn't have any fever of note. I went to bed at 9...I awoke to her crying around 10...I had just been to sleep long enough to think that it was already 5am or something...not 10! She has been waking up about this time for the past 2 nights because she is uncomfortable because of her plugged nose. I decided to go ahead and check on her. Thank the Lord that I did. Her fever was up to 104!! We immediately called our trusty pediatrician. The nurse told us to give her tylenol, but if the fever gets to 105 we have to go to the ED. Apparently, there is a flu strain going around that is quite powerful. It is a different strain then the one contained in the flu shot. So, here I sit. The 4 hour countdown has begun until I can give her the next dose. Fortunately, the fever is coming down...currently, it is around 102. I know all of the experienced mamas out there are saying this is just more to come for at least the next 10 years of my life, but the first time is still quite scary.

Let's just hope Alan and I don't come down with something ourselves. We both decided not to get the flu shot this year, so are we just ticking time bombs???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Helen will feel better soon. Once that initial fever breaks they feel alot better.

As far as stuffi-ness, I think giving them a little Dimetapp is OK. I know there is alot of literature out there suggesting not to use them, but I feel like from experience it works to clear them up abit.

Also, do you use the "Ayre" nose saline spray at all? That's a non-Dimetapp way to clear their nose which I think works pretty well at the infant age.

Helen may have the febrile seizure gene (hopefully she doesn't), and so I would highly recommend bringing her fever down at any sign of sickness. I find infant Motrin to work a little better at bringing fever down than Tylenol, but maybe Helen is still too young for it?

When it's a really bad ill-ness, we do all of the above and run a humidifier in the room.

Feel free to call if you want to talk about any of this stuff. I am up late into the night.

W/ 2-kids having the febrile seizure gene, I feel abit experienced now.

Take heart. As they get bigger, their sinus cavities get bigger and they don't clog up as much.

Monica

le35 said...

Since Helen is over six months old, just know that Motrin is powerful, too. It's one of my life savers. I'm glad that you went in for the ear infection. :) Sometimes when the fever is really high like that, they can take Motrin and Tylenol on the off hours. Ask your pediatrician about it. :) Good job Kim!