Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rough night...

Kim compares our first night at home as potentially more agony than the birth she just went through. The plan was to let me sleep as much as possible through the night so I could be ready during the day to be there for her, while she slept and woke up for feedings. However, Helen wouldn't feed and did cry and cry for hours. Kim didn't know what to do, but thought that if we used the swing it would help because she just wanted to be rocked. Problem is, the swing hadn't been assembled yet. Enter Kim and screaming Helen. I had developed a bit of a cold, so in my Nyquil induced stupor I stared at her blankly, as she explained how she wanted me to put together the swing. At 2 am, I think it was. All I could do was rock her in the glider and try to calm her, which did eventually work, and Kim did get some rest which she desperately needed.

We made it through the night, but when I woke I found that I did in fact have a fever and it wasn't just allergies bothering me. I am so fearful I will make Helen or Kim sick. We called the doctor and they say that I shouldn't hold the baby. Not hold the baby?? How am I supposed to help Kim if I can't hold her, change diapers, even swaddle her? Desperation is setting in. Kim is feeling hopeless and I am feeling useless. We all got some more rest in the morning and I went to the doctor. I've basically got a cold virus or sinus infection. I have gloves and a surgical mask for when I do have to hold Helen, and I purchased multiple hand sanitizer's to spread throughout the house, plus the prescription cold medicine is starting to kick in and we are feeling better.

Fortunately, I put in the emergency call to my parent's, and they were able to work out their schedules (despite both being asked not to be absent from work) to come up tonight to help us out. Thank you, thank you Mom and Dad!

Earlier this week our prayer's were answered when Helen arrived healthy, and without any complications. Now, we are praying for strength and guidance to get us through this next challenge (knowing there will be many more!).

Thank you to all of you for your kind words, love and support. It really has meant a lot to us and lifts us up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, dejavu for Joel and Monica. Nari brought us to tears starting in the hospital.

You'll look back years from now and laugh....

Hang in there!! It only gets easier day by day....slowly but surely....

Hooray for Mr. and Mrs. Walker to the rescue!

Monica and Joel

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you had such a rough night. Hope that everybody is feeling better (hope you got something better than Allround, Alan). If you need anything, give us a call!

Anonymous said...

Hi uncle alan and aunt kim.Don't worry you're sick .At less you don't have the chicken pox (like me).Hope you get some rest!

love,
chloe